We’ve been de-cluttering the hot spots in the kitchen, finishing up yesterday with the pantry, and now we’re moving to the other most-used room of the house: the bathroom! If you’re keeping up with these challenges, join our 28 Days to De-Clutter Facebook Event page and share your excitement with the rest of us as you accomplish each task! If you’re just joining us now, you can keep up with all the tasks here.
Bathrooms are typically pretty small spaces, so it’s easy for them to collect clutter. Especially if you have kids! But also especially if you’re of the female persuasion. Hair dryers, curling irons, flat irons, brushes, hair accessories, toiletry products, and, of course, makeup. Today we’re tackling the makeup collection.
De-Clutter Your Make-Up Stash in 10 Minutes
This task shouldn’t take too long unless you’re a celebrity. And if you’re a celebrity, then you have people to take care of this sort of thing. So go ahead and set your timer for 10 minutes. Pull out your makeup stash, and…
The biggest thing we want to accomplish today is getting rid of outdated and excess makeup. So toss in the trash can any of the following:
- Mascara that has been open for four months or more
- Concealer, foundation, and blush that have been open for a year or more
- Lipstick (and gloss, etc.) that have been open for more than two years
- Open eyeshadow, eyeliner, and lipliner that are older than three years
- Sponges should be tossed on a monthly basis
- Colors you bought that didn’t quite work out they way you thought they would
- Products you decided you didn’t like all that much
- Brushes that are beyond repair
- Any other tools (tweezers, etc.) that are rusty or otherwise beyond repair
Make sure you keep all the items you find yourself using on a regular basis. For me, that’s concealer, mascara, blush, one or two colors of eyeshadow, one or two colors of lip gloss or lipstick, and one or two colors of eyeliner. You may need more or less, depending on your preferences and style.
- Follow these simple instructions for cleaning your makeup brushes. (I used the vinegar option.)
- Get adventuresome and try making your own all-natural makeup: mascara, lipstick and face powder. (Note: I haven’t tried this myself, but it’s on my bucket list!)
- If you have a lot of brushes, store them bristles up in pretty glass containers. You can even pretty them up to match your bathroom!
- If you’re looking for a creative way to store your makeup, I’ve pinned a few fabulous ideas to the 28 Days to De-Clutter Pinterest Board. There’s sure to be something there that sparks an idea for you.
- For more practical (and inexpensive) options, browse through the dollar store for items that would work perfectly: silverware drawer organizers, shower caddies, any kind of drawer organizer, matching containers of different sizes, glass vases or jars, baskets or tins, etc.
- Or consider a unit made specifically for organizing makeup, like this Expandable Vanity Organizer or this Cosmetic Organizer.
Let’s De-Clutter Together
If you completed today’s 10-minute task, I’d love to hear about it! Tell me all about it – and show me a picture – on the 28 Days to De-Clutter Facebook Event page. Bloggers can grab the badge below and write a post – I’ll link to it in my next post and pin it to my 28 Days to De-Clutter Pinterest Board, and share on Facebook and Twitter. And everyone can join in on the Twitter conversation by using the hashtag #28daystodeclutter.
Find more inspiring and informative posts at Make Your Own Monday, Motivational Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, The Bulletin Board, Better Mom Monday, Natural Living Monday, Trivium Tuesday, Titus 2sday, Teach Me Tuesday, Hip Homeschool Hop, Titus 2 Tuesday, Delicious Dishes, Open Call Tuesday, Tiny Tip Tuesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Works For Me Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Food Wednesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, The Mommy Club, Encourage One Another, Thought Provoking Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Homemaking Link Up, Keep it Real Thursday, Frugal Thursday Rewind, Your Green Resource, Homeschooling on the Cheap, Thrifty Thursday, Fellowship Friday, Fight Back Friday, I'm Lovin' It, Weekend Bloggy Reading, Weekend Whatever, Snacktime Saturday