Coconut Lime Mousse, aka “Heaven in a Cup”

Coconut Lime Mousse
I spend a lot of time experimenting in the kitchen and tinkering with recipes, and I have to say that 90% of the time, my tinkering turns out okay. Just okay, though. Usually nothing fabulous, usually nothing to write home about, usually nothing to blog about.

Then, 9.9% of the time, it’s a total failure that has to be dumped in the trash, never to be spoken of, at home, on the blog, or anywhere.

That remaining .1%? It happened yesterday. That one moment, when I took the tinkering to extreme levels, crossed my fingers, squeezed my eyes shut real tight… and. Wow. Perfection. Deliciousness. Amazing yumminess.
Coconut Lime Mousse
It all started with a recipe I clipped from a Giant Food magazine (that I only grabbed because it had a few coupons… cheapskate me!). The gorgeous picture that went with the recipe kept enticing me, but I was put off by the ingredients, like fat-free milk, reduced-fat whipped topping and yellow food coloring. For one thing, I don’t do fat-free; for another, I’m not consuming dairy at the moment to see if it helps Baby Boy’s eczema. For another… food coloring? Really? Is that necessary?

I couldn’t resist the draw of the picture, though, so I determined to see if I could make it with coconut milk products instead of the dairy. I also chucked the whole concept of food coloring, and used limes instead of the lemons called for, simply because I had picked up a whole bunch of reduced limes at Harris Teeter over the weekend.

And so… Coconut Lime Mousse was born!

To replace the whipped topping in this recipe, I made some coconut whipped “cream”. It’s SO easy, and SO delicious, and you’ll definitely want to use it for the coconut flavor. It requires a bit of planning: pop a can of coconut milk in the fridge the day before you want to try the recipe.

How to Make Coconut Whipped “Cream”

You will need:

1 can (not lite) coconut milk

Place the can in the fridge overnight. Upon opening the can, you should have a rather thick layer (several inches thick) of solid coconut milk fat (for lack of a better word). Solid Coconut Scoop out that solid coconut into a mixing bowl, and beat on high until it develops the consistency of a heavy whipped cream (this doesn’t take long). Coconut Whipped "Cream" Coconut Whipped "Cream" Use the remaining liquid in the can as part of the coconut milk called for in the recipe below.

Coconut Lime Mousse
As far as fancy recipes go, this is a QUICK one! It’s also perfect for Easter – you can make it on Saturday and refrigerate it until after your Sunday brunch or dinner, so you don’t have to worry about baking or preparing anything on Easter day itself.

Don’t be put off by the “mousse” word: it really is so EASY. Probably the trickiest part is getting the right consistency of the initial milk/sugar/cornstarch mixture, but if you’ve ever made pudding, that should be easy.

It’s not exactly CHEAP; that’s another reason why it’s perfect for a special celebration like Easter! As I mentioned earlier, the limes were reduced in price, so I paid pennies for them, but the coconut milk (both kinds) can be pricey. Even at that, it totals between $3-$5, depending on the prices you have to pay, so it’s not bad, all things considered.

I am pleased with how much more HEALTHY this recipe is than the original. I reduced the sugar by a bit, and eliminated the food coloring, which makes it considerably healthier than it would be otherwise. Also, coconut milk is a very healthy alternative to dairy, and coconut products are popping up everywhere as testament to this fact.

Did I mention that this was DELICIOUS!?
Coconut Lime Mousse
Enjoy, and have a very Happy Easter!

BundleoftheWeek.com, 5 eBooks for $7.40!

Comments

1. Hi Anne! This really does sound like heaven in a cup! Thank you for sharing the recipe. We can’t wait to try it! And we’d like to invite you and your readers to download some $1-off coupons for So Delicious Coconut Milk: http://bit.ly/dV53a2

2. LaDonna says:

This looks and sounds delicious and I will definitely be making it soon! I am always looking for dairy-free recipes and love using coconut milk when I revise my recipes.
    Thank you for sharing! :) I like that you left out the food coloring, too.
    LaDonna recently posted..Green &amp Fruity Salad

3. Norma says:

I saved this one ! I have a question though, can arrowroot or tapioca starch be used instead of corn starch and would the amount be the same?

• Anne says:

You know, I was wondering the same thing as I was making it. I almost tried tapioca starch but really wanted it to turn out so I chickened out at the last minute. I just did a quick search and it seems like tapioca starch needs about half again as much to work as a thickener. Give it a try and let me know how it goes! As for arrowroot, I have heard that it turns milk products kind of slimy, I’m not sure how it would interact with coconut milk products, but I’d stay away from it just in case.

• Sharon says:

I used Tapioca Starch and it has a consistency of a goop or dare i say snot. Is this going to turn into a pudding or a mousse??? or is it going to stay goop? Is their a way to make it better with what i have right now. Please let me know. Even in the picture it looks a little more pudding like than mousse. I was thinking it would be light and airy and fluffy.

• Anne Simpson says:

Hi Sharon, it’s been so long since I made it I honestly can’t remember the consistency. But I do know it wasn’t goopy! I think the tapioca starch is probably to blame. I would use less tapioca starch, or maybe just stick with the corn starch.

4. Claudia says:

This does sound like a keeper. I am definitely going to whip it up soon.

5. Katie Weber says:

That looks so so yummy! I’m so in love with lime and this totally made my mouth water!

I’m new to your blog! I found you through FTLOB and I can’t wait to read more! Feel free to check out my blog!

Simply Kate
    Katie Weber recently posted..Busy Bees

6. Wow – this sounds amazing! Anything called heaven in a cup has got to be good!
    Thanks so much for linking up.
    Alissa

7. veronica lee says:

Looks heavenly!!

Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.
    Have a nice day!
    veronica lee recently posted..Airigami By Larry Moss

8. Swathi says:

Coconut lime mousse looks awesome. I am in for that coconut. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul hop.
    Swathi recently posted..Huevos a la Mexicana -Mexican Scrambled Eggs

9. I love limes, especially with coconut, and oh my this looks so good! Thank you so much for sharing it with Let’s Do Brunch – and also with the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop. Hope to see you again at both this week!

10. Claire says:

Hiya. I made this recipe to have with pavlova as I can’t eat cream and it was really lovely. I had the leftover the next evening with cookies http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/chewy-lime-and-coconut-sugar-cookie-recipe/ dipped into it, yum. thanks

11. Mimi says:

This looks great! One question–to make the coconut whipped cream, should I use a can of coconut milk or coconut cream? You use both terms in the instructions, but I know they are two different things. I can’t wait to find out so I can try making this.

12. Pam says:

Hello there. This sounds amazing, but I have a question. Can I replace raw sugar with regular granulated sugar? Thanks.

13. I think this looks great! Would 1 can of the coconut milk produce enough of the cream for 1 cup whipped? I make my own coconut milk but I am thinking about how much I would need to make in order to get 1 cup of coconut cream. Thanks!
    Adrienne @ Whole New Mom recently posted..Traditional Tuesdays – Nutritious and Delicious ~ December 27, 2011

14. Anne says:

Yes, one can makes enough cream. But for the liquid you’ll need 1.5 cups, so total for the recipe, I’d say the equivalent of 2 cans.

Trackbacks

1. [...] recipe for Coconut Lime Mousse from Anne at Quick and Easy, Cheap and Healthy sounds so tasty. Little Guy seems to enjoy citrus, [...]

2. [...] For a more refined Easter treat, check out my allergen-free Coconut Lime Mousse. [...]

3. [...] Coconut Lime Mousse, aka “Heaven in a Cup” [...]

4. [...] calls for coconut water – I just used the bit of coconut milk left over from a can after I had refrigerated all the cream out of it. Of course, if you have coconut water, you can use it, or you can use plain water. You can try [...]