Some things in life are worth the complications. Others? Not so much.
It’s my aim in life (OK, one of them) to balance authenticity (keepin’ it real) and simplicity (keepin’ it simple). Kind of like my wedding ring: it’s authentic, because who would want a fake? But it’s simple, because gaudy is just not me.
Alas, not everything in life is serendipitously and simultaneously authentic and simple like my wedding ring. If it were, then wedding rings would not be quite so precious, would they? Sometimes one must sacrifice authenticity for simplicity, and vice versa.
Join me, then, on my journey to find the elusive union of authentic and simple, the place where “real” and “easy” join hands and work together to achieve admirable results. And follow along as I discover when to replace the one with the other for the sake of my own sanity and my love for those around me.
In other words, Let’s keep it real. And let’s keep it simple.
- Beauty – on the dining room table, in the living room, adorning your self… beauty should be everywhere. But it shouldn’t take forever, require special skills, or cost a fortune.
- Children – they don’t need a lot of toys and games, or even elaborately planned activities and lunchboxes. They just need guidance and love. And a kickin’ awesome birthday cake.
- Garden – even black thumbs can grow a pot of herbs, especially mint. This is what I have learned.
- Handmade – craftiness is closer than you think, and makes a lovely gift.
- Health - a complication in life that I am on a never-ending quest to simplify. No doctor’s degree, just mostly common sense and knowledge gained.
- Household – keeping it clean and organized is a big job, but there’s no reason to complicate it.
~In the Budget~
- Save Much - a penny saved is a penny earned. And pennies add up.
- Spend Wisely – spend those pennies wisely; never spend more than necessary, and only buy what is useful. And occasionally, what is beautiful.
- Waste Not - repurpose, reduce, reuse,
recycleupcycle, use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. Whatever you do, don’t waste it.
~On My Mind~
- Ideas – occasionally, I have good ones.
- Knowledge – is power. But power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. So I share my knowledge to share the power.
- Rants – wherein I step up on my soapbox. Delete as you feel the need.
- Reflections – moments to remember, occasions to memorialize, thoughts to ponder, faith to cherish.
~On the Table~
- Basics – gotta start somewhere.
- Beverages – mostly coffee.
- Bread – by which you cannot live alone, so don’t even try. Except maybe my mom’s sticky buns. I might be able to live on those.
- Breakfast – the best start to your day.
- Celebrations – every day is a celebration, but some are more memorable than others.
- Dessert – appropriately, it comes before dinner in the alphabet.
- Dinner - but you still have to eat your dinner.
- Lunch – the daily pit stop.
- Sides – to go with dinner, of course.
- Snacks – to keep you going.
No Butter? No Eggs? You Can Still Make Cookies!
How to Make the Most of Your Grocery Budget Dollars
How to Get Canning Supplies for Cheap or Free
A Little More Mexican: Pork Carnitas
Fight the Flu With Pumpkin Soup
PS. Looking for Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy? You found it! This is the new-and-improved version.
Photo by Katushka Prints