I’m always looking for great recipes that make use of canned salmon because it’s an inexpensive way to incorporate more of that healthy wild-caught fish into our diets. I don’t really love canned salmon, to be honest, but along the way I’ve discovered some great ways to cook it that are truly delicious. Our whole family enjoys eating fish, which I love!
I stumbled across this recipe for grilled salmon and cheese when searching for more canned salmon inspiration. I changed it up a little bit and turned it into these hot and toasty open-faced sandwiches that are great for lunch or dinner, served with a green salad and/or some fresh fruit. Easy, quick, and healthy. (There’s a reason my blog used to be called Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy!)
Toasty Salmon Melts
- 8 slices whole grain sourdough bread
- 1 14.5oz can salmon, drained
- 1 D’Anjou pear, grated or finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. dried dill weed
- salt & pepper to taste
- Set the slices of bread on a stone or cookie sheet.
- Remove the skin and bones from the salmon, if desired. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Scoop a generous spoonful of the mixture onto each slice of bread, and spread it to the edges in an even layer.
- Bake at 400F for 5-10 minutes, or until bread is toasty and cheese is melty.
You could also eat this fresh and raw, without baking, but please don’t tell me if you do. Blech.
What’s your favorite way to prepare canned salmon?
Find more inspiring and informative posts at Make Your Own Monday, Motivational Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, The Bulletin Board, Better Mom Monday, Natural Living Monday, Trivium Tuesday, Titus 2sday, Teach Me Tuesday, Hip Homeschool Hop, Titus 2 Tuesday, Delicious Dishes, Open Call Tuesday, Tiny Tip Tuesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Works For Me Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Food Wednesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, The Mommy Club, Encourage One Another, Thought Provoking Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Homemaking Link Up, Keep it Real Thursday, Frugal Thursday Rewind, Your Green Resource, Homeschooling on the Cheap, Thrifty Thursday, Fellowship Friday, Fight Back Friday, I'm Lovin' It, Weekend Bloggy Reading, Weekend Whatever, Snacktime Saturday