I don’t like bugs. I don’t like them in my house, and I most certainly do not like them on my person.
However, bugs like me. They like me very much. They seem to consider me a veritable feast free for the taking, and I find that rather presumptuous of them.
Henceforth and therefore, I do what I can to keep them as far away from me as possible. In the past, this has meant, spraying myself all over with foul-smelling chemical-laced sprays that accomplished absolutely nothing. I was still a bug feast. Then I tried natural-ish (or at least DEET-free) bug sprays that still smelled pretty foul, and the same result. The bugs still bit me!
I figure, since the chemical sprays accomplished absolutely nothing, what harm could an all natural, homemade bug spray made out of essential oils do? The worst thing that could happen is that bugs would feast on me yet again, right?
And three times isn’t a lengthy track record by any means, but for me, it’s huge. (Remember; bugs love me!) Also, consider the 3 occasions I have used it thus far:
- At a lavender farm, where we picnicked and walked around lavender gardens and generally spent a great deal of time right up in a bug’s natural habitat.
- On an evening walk around the neighborhood, which is where I would typically have the biggest problem.
- On a walk through a local botanical garden, which is all outdoors and provides a beautiful habitat for all sorts of creatures… including bugs that bite!
I don’t think a bug even landed on me, and I haven’t been bitten even once this summer (which is quite the feat for me, I promise you!). I’m totally sold on this essential-oil-based bug spray and am excited to share it with you.
Note: To preserve the maximum effectiveness of the oils you’ll be using in this spray, I recommend you get a bottle such as this one intended for use with essential oils.
Homemade Bug Spray with Essential Oils
- Place the baking soda in the bottom of your spray bottle.
- Add the drops of essential oil, and shake to combine the two ingredients.
- Pour in the water. Place the cap on the bottle and shake well each time before using.
Thieves and Purification are two Young Living oil blends that I always have on hand:
- Thieves oil is a blend of clove, cinnamon, rosemary, lemon, and eucalyptus oils and is famous for its ability to assist your immune system to both prevent and heal illnesses of any kind. Many people use it as an antiseptic type of spray as well, so not only does it protect you from insect bugs, it protects you from germy bugs!
- Purification oil is a blend of citronella, lemongrass, lavandin, melaleuca, and myrtle. Purification is a great bug deterrent, but it can also be used to heal and soothe bug bites of any kind.
If you don’t have these oils on hand, you can purchase them here. You’ll notice right away, I’m sure, that the total combined cost is close to $70! “Seventy bucks for bug spray?! What?!” I hear you say. I know, I know, but consider this:
- Each 15 ml bottle contains at least 320 drops of the oil, and you are only using 5 drops of each in this recipe. That means you could make more than 60 bottles of bug spray with these 2 bottles of oil! (Try buying 60 bottles of bug spray for $70.)
- But of course you don’t need nearly that many bottles of bug spray unless you live on a campground, so it’s a good thing those oils have a lot of other uses. I dilute Thieves oil and put it on our feet whenever anybody in the house comes down with some kind of illness. I also make a spray out of Thieves oil, and use it like a disinfectant during the flu season, spraying it on door knobs and light switches and other often-touched surfaces. When Thieves oil is diffused, it disinfects the air in your home and helps prevent illness. Purification is good for keeping insects out of your home, too! I put some on cotton balls and set them in the corners of windows where the ants like to come in. I also recently used Purification to help heal a bout of poison ivy I had. You will soon find these essential oils to truly be essential!
- Also consider becoming a distributor of Young Living oils, rather than simply a customer. After your initial starter kit purchase, the only obligation you have is to purchase $50 worth of oils within the next 12 months. That’s all it takes to maintain your distributor status! Or, if you choose, as a distributor, you can enroll in essential rewards (an auto-ship program) and get discounted shipping plus earn rewards and bonuses and maybe even get some free oils! Click here to enroll as a distributor. (Psst! The Everyday Oils starter kit comes with both Thieves and Purification plus 7 other awesome oils!)
Here’s to a happy, bug-free summer!